Orbital Photographs Reveal Iran's Navy and Atomic Locations Hit by Joint US and Israeli Attacks.
A series of US and Israeli attacks has according to analysis eliminated or harmed at least 11 Iran's navy ships since Saturday, new orbital imagery show, with launch facilities and nuclear sites also being targeted.
Photographs of the southern Konarak naval military port and the Bandar Abbas facility, which is located on the strategic Hormuz Strait and houses the main command of the Iranian navy, reveal smoke billowing from multiple vessels on the start of the week.
Maritime Fleet Sustained Significant Damage
Included in the vessels destroyed was the Makran, Iran's largest naval vessel which had served as a drone carrier. Orbital photos displayed dark plumes rising from the ship which had been moored at the Bandar Abbas base.
Intelligence evaluations state that no fewer than five ships at the port were "struck or destroyed". Imagery of the south end of the harbor depict plumes ascending from the Makran, while additional vessels seem to be damaged, with a single one seen burning.
Over at the Konarak base, photos reveal several harmed ships, with analysis identifying damage to six ships. Images taken on the start of the week also demonstrate that multiple facilities at the installation have been destroyed.
"For decades the Iranian regime has harassed international shipping," a senior US military official stated. "Today, there is not one Iranian vessel operational in the Arabian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz or Gulf of Oman, and we will not stop."
Some ships allegedly destroyed may have been obscured in satellite images by cloud or smoke, or hit in open waters, and have not been independently verified. Separate reports suggested that one Iranian ship was foundering near Sri Lankan territorial waters, leading to a rescue operation.
Missile Sites and Nuclear Facilities Attacked
Eliminating Tehran's launch facilities and the prevention of enrichment activities were listed as other aims of the offensive. Aerial imagery also revealed strikes on the southern Khorgu and northwestern Tabriz missile bases, and at the Konarak base, where missile storage facilities and fortifications were struck.
Over at the Choqa Balk-e drone drone base west of Kermanshah, widespread destruction was seen to storage buildings, underground facilities and UAV launching apparatus.
Destruction was also seen at a surveillance station at the Zahedan military airport in eastern parts of the country, close to the border with Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Significantly, the new round of attacks have reportedly hit sites at the Natanz complex – long said to be at the heart of Iran's enrichment efforts. The UN's atomic energy body stated that the damaged structures were used for entry to the facility's below-ground enrichment facility and that "no release of radioactive material" was anticipated.
Broader Fallout and Analysis
Military analysts stated that the offensive appeared to have "significantly degraded" the Iran's naval ability to carry out conventional attacks using its largest warships. But, it was stressed that Iran retains the capacity to launch asymmetric warfare at sea through the use of drones, midget subs and its so-called "clandestine network" of oil ships.
The overall scale of the destruction caused to Iran's defense facilities remains unclear, with strikes said to be continuing. Photos also indicates considerable damage to the main offices of the the IRGC in the capital Tehran.
A large number of civilian buildings also appear to have been struck in the capital city and throughout the country since the conflict escalated. Toll estimates from ground sources indicate that hundreds of civilians may have been lost their lives in the strikes.
With the conflict ongoing, analysis of aerial photographs will carry on to assess the changing battlefield picture.